A vaginal hysterectomy is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that removes the uterus through the vagina. The uterus is detached from the fallopian tubes, ovaries, upper vagina, along with the supporting blood vessels and connective tissues. Vaginal hysterectomies can treat multiple gynecologic problems, including:
- Gynecologic cancer (cancer of the uterus, cervix, ovaries or endometrium)
- Fibroids (benign tumors in the uterus that cause persistent bleeding and pain)
- Endometriosis (when the endometrium, the tissue lining the uterus, grows outside of the uterus)
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding (heavy or prolonged periods)
- Uterine prolapse (when the pelvic supporting ligaments and tissues get too stretched out or too weak)
- Chronic pelvic pain (caused by uterine conditions)
With some of these conditions, a hysterectomy may be one of several treatment options. Vaginal hysterectomies involve shorter downtime and faster recovery than abdominal hysterectomies. If your uterus is enlarged, this procedure may not be possible and Dr. Palacio can discuss other non-invasive surgical options with you.
Vaginal Hysterectomy Procedures in Bend, Oregon
At VIVA! GYN, Dr. Palacio performs vaginal hysterectomy procedures at our clinic in Bend, so you won’t need to worry about hospital fees. To schedule a consultation, use the form below. If you have any questions about hysterectomies, or if you’d like to discuss the risks, please give us a call at (541) 323-3747. We are here to help in every way possible!