Dilation and Curettage (D&C)
Dilation and Curettage (D&C) is a procedure that is used to:
- Remove vaginal tissue, cysts and tumors after a miscarriage
- Diagnose and treat uterine bleeding, including heavy or prolonged periods
- Diagnose unexplained bleeding during menstruation
- Provide information on the presence of uterine cancer
- Remove an embedded intrauterine device (IUD)
D&C is a very common procedure, and can be very helpful in determining a woman’s health and vitality.
What Does the Procedure Involve?
During D&C, a speculum instrument is placed into the vagina to hold the vaginal canal open (dilation). A gynecologist (such as Dr. Peter Palacio) will then insert a curette (a metal loop on the end of a long thin handle) to gently scrape the inner layer of tissue (endometrium) in order for it to be collected and examined. D&C usually comes with few risks and no downtime. You will be able to return your normal routine following your appointment. At VIVA! GYN, we can administer anesthesia around the cervix to minimize your discomfort.
Dilation and Curettage in Central Oregon
Dr. Palacio is a highly skilled physician/gynecologist who can perform D&C at our clinic in Bend, OR. To get started, give us a call at (541) 323-3747 or use the form below to schedule your appointment.