An abdominal hysterectomy is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that removes the uterus through a small incision in the lower abdomen. Abdominal hysterectomies are generally recommended when it is in the best interest of the patient, but it may also be done for women who have a large uterus. This procedure will also allow us to check the other pelvic organs for signs of disease. Additionally, a hysterectomy can done to treat:
- Fibroids (benign tumors in the uterus that cause persistent bleeding and pain)
- Gynecologic cancer (cancer of the uterus, cervix, ovaries or endometrium)
- Endometriosis (occurs when the endometrium, the tissue lining the uterus, grows outside of the uterus)
- Chronic pelvic pain (caused by uterine conditions)
- Abnormal bleeding from the vagina (heavy or prolonged periods)
- Uterine prolapse (occurs when the pelvic supporting ligaments and tissues get too stretched out or weak)
A hysterectomy will end your chances of becoming pregnant, so this procedure is only recommended for women who no longer want to give birth. Do not schedule a hysterectomy if you plan on giving birth to children in the future.
Schedule Your Abdominal Hysterectomy in Central Oregon
During an abdominal hysterectomy, you will be placed under general anesthesia, so you won’t be awake during the surgery. The uterus is detached from the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and upper vagina, along with the connective tissues and blood vessels that support it. With a total hysterectomy, the cervix is removed, while a partial hysterectomy leaves it in place.
Schedule your consultation using the form below. If you have any questions about this procedure, give us a call at (541) 323-3747. Our very own Dr. Palacio is a skilled surgeon who can perform an abdominal hysterectomy and other non-invasive surgical procedures at our clinic in Bend, Oregon.