Menopause & Hormone Optimization
What is Menopause?
Menopause occurs in women in their 40s or 50s, when they experience a natural, biological decline in reproductive hormones–estrogen and progesterone. During this time, women can no longer become pregnant or experience a menstrual cycle. It is officially diagnosed when a woman has gone 12 months without getting her period. The other causes of menopause include:
- Hysterectomy (Vaginal, Abdominal, Laparoscopic) – when the uterus and ovaries are removed, your period will stop immediately and you may experience hot flashed and other menopausal symtoms (below).
- Radiation therapy & Chemotherapy – cancer therapy can induce menopausal symptoms, though birth control will still be necessary.
- Primary Ovarian Insufficiency – when your ovaries do not produce normal levels of reproductive hormones, as a result of an autoimmune disease or genetic factors.
If you are in your 40s and you experience irregular periods (lighter or heavier than usual & more or less frequent), you are perimenopausal. Perimenopause can last for several years.
What are the Symptoms?
Along with physical and emotional shifts, women will also experience the following symptoms:
- Vaginal Atrophy and Dryness
- Urinary Incontinence
- Hot Flashes
- Mood Swings
- Difficulty Falling Asleep
- Losses in Bone Density
Hormone optimization and replacement therapy is designed to replace the estrogen and progesterone that is lost during menopause. This therapy utilizes patches, pills, and other treatments to help reduce your physical and emotional symptoms. During these optimization treatments and therapy, you may continue to have your period. If you are unable to take hormones due to health issues, modifications to your diet, natural stress relief techniques prescription medicine and over-the-counter products are safe, effective options.
Menopause Treatment & Hormone Optimization in Central Oregon
When it comes to menopause, you’re in charge. There are many safe and effective new options to help minimize the symptoms you may be experiencing before, during or after menopause. At VIVA! GYN, we’re here to help you learn about and take charge of your health as you transition out of the child-bearing years. It’s your time to enjoy life without worrying about hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms. We can help you explore perimenopause and menopause assessment and treatment including:
- Strategies to Optimize your Health in Menopause
- Solutions for Problematic Symptoms
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Bio-identical Hormones
- Postmenopausal Bleeding
Call us at (541) 323-3747 to learn more about our services to help you prepare for and navigate menopause, or schedule an appointment at your convenience using the form below.